Best Known For:
Portales hosts the 3rd largest university in the state - Eastern New Mexico University (ENMU). Our community is also rich in agriculture, with Valencia Peanuts being the most well-known crop.
Year Established: 1898
What is the most surprising fact about Portales?
The town got its name from natural springs that formed in the shape of a porch, or “Portales” in Spanish.
Do you have any famous current/former/historic residents?
- Michael Blake, Author of Dances with Wolves, attended college at Eastern New Mexico University (ENMU)
- John Burroughs, Democratic governor of New Mexico, 1959–1961
- Ronny Cox, Actor; starred in the film Deliverance and on the CBS series Apple's Way
- Ed Foreman, Represented two states in the United States House of Representatives: Texas and New Mexico; motivational speaker and philanthropist
- Darynda Jones, Paranormal, mystery, and young adult author
- Danny Leary, Comedian and actor
- Washington Ellsworth Lindsey, 3rd governor of New Mexico
- Wayne Mass, American football player
- Katherine D. Ortega, former U.S. Treasurer (ENMU alum)
- Dennis Redfield, actor in The Tempest, Dead and Buried, Problem Child 2
- Cody Ross, Major League Baseball outfielder for the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Michael Sinclair, former NFL player (Seattle Seahawks & Philadelphia Eagles) and coach (ENMU alum)
- Christopher Stasheff, Fantasy author
- Ned Sublette, Singer and Cuban scholar
- Addie Peed Swearingen, Philanthropist
- Jack Williamson, Science fiction author
What are the biggest annual events in Portales?
Heritage Days - 3rd Saturday in June
Peanut Valley Festival - 3rd Saturday in October
You can check out upcoming events in Portales by clicking here.
What do you want visitors to discover/visit in your community?
What we want visitors to discover Portales' inviting historic downtown with local restaurants, brew pubs, coffee shops and Western Wear; Blackwater Draw National Historic Site, and Oasis State Park.
How many family-friendly activities are consistently offered in your community?
Between the Portales MainStreet Program, Roosevelt County Chamber of Commerce, the City of Portales and other community organizations, activities that are fun for the whole family can be found on a regular basis in our town!